MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB
MC-3+ Smart Clock USB
The MC-3+ USB sets a new benchmark for clocking technology and digital audio reproduction by uniquely combining an audiophile digital audio interface, master clock, and audio re-clocker. Using a higher quality clock source allows for more accurate playback timing between samples in the digital audio stream. Any drifting or inaccuracy between each sample creates phase-noise and jitter, resulting in degraded imaging and audio quality. By improving the clock sync reference and conversion of your digital signal, your playback system will provide increased precision, clarity, and improved sound stage. The MC-3+ USB presents a user friendly, compact format, where you can achieve high quality re-clocking and conversion previously limited to more costly hardware.
Versatile Digital Matrix
The MC-3+ USB enables bi-directional digital audio format conversion between USB audio streams, AES3, AES3id, and S/P-DIF signals. In addition to an array of digital outputs, there is a full set of digital inputs for AES3, AES3id, and S/P-DIF signals with BNC, RCA, and optical connectors. USB audio streams are converted to five digital audio outputs, allowing multiple devices to receive the same audio simultaneously. Please note the MC3+ USB features only digital audio outputs, none are analog.
The MC-3+ has its own built-in re-clocking capability or can sync to a higher rate clock device such as the 10 Mhz MUTEC REF 10. By using MUTEC’s proprietary 1G-Clock technology, the incoming audio is reproduced more accurately resulting in improved fidelity, imaging, and precision. The MC-3+ USB also includes clock outputs, allowing to act as a clock distributor to multiple devices in the studio or live sound.
USB Made Better
Many converters are not capable of reproducing and converting audio via USB at the highest possible level, which is why using digital audio inputs such as AES3 or S/P-DIF yields significantly better results and is usually preferred. MUTEC has invested considerable research to uncover and solve the underlying problems to achieve high-end audio via USB.
Ultra Low Noise
Electromagnetic interference of any kind, particularly such as that caused by computers, will induce noise into the audio stream. The MC-3+ USB incorporates a USB interface galvanically isolated from other parts of the circuitry. The power supply is also independent from the main board, with other components in the main circuit also isolated, resulting in exceptional noise reduction previously not thought possible.
Applications using the MC-3+ USB as a master clock source
Applications using the MC-3+ USB in re-clocking mode
Optional Applications syncing the MC-3+ USB with External clock reference
- Unique, bit-transparent “Revive” Re-Clocking for purest sound quality
- Serves as a flexible digital input switching matrix, audio format converter and master clock
- Intuitive user interface and easy setup
- Update-capability via USB
- Galvanic isolation up to 2500 VRMS in accordance with UL1577, respectively 4242 VPK in accordance with DIN EN 60747-5-2 (VDE 0884 part 2)
- Converts DSD/DoP streams (64-256) to PCM audio with selectable output clock rate
- Transfers USB audio streams into AES3 and S/P-DIF and outputs those to five digital audio formats simultaneously
- Converts between USB PCM audio, USB DSD/DoP audio, AES3 and S/P-DIF, as well as between AES11 and Word Clock
- MAC/PC compatible
- USB audio class 2.0 driver for Windows supporting ASIO, MME, DirectSound, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, PCM 16Bit, 24Bit, 32Bit and Float-32Bit at all clock rates between 44.1kHz and 192kHz
- Ultra-low jitter Word Clock generation with clock rates up to 1,536.0 kHz
- Scale-able to FS1x512 clock rates, 22,5792 MHz & 24,576 MHz, for e.g. high-end audio interfaces
- Locks to 10 MHz, 5 MHz, and GPS clock references
- Generates Word Clocks, Super Clocks, AES3 + S/P-DIF blanks simultaneously
- Uninterruptible, fail-safe clock generation in all operation modes
- Eliminates so-called digital “clicks and pops”
- Individual lock indicators for the clock or audio reference and the re-clock reference
- S/P-DIF interconnections via BNC, RCA and optical interfaces available as inputs and outputs
- Front panel lock-out for preventing of misuse
- Rack-space-saving 9.5″ housing, 1u rackmount kit available
- Built-in, universal power supply
- Made in Berlin, Germany
Read a review from German Recording Magazine – LINK
Now approved as a Roon Tested device! – LINK
Images (click to expand)