Drawmer Monitor Preamps MC7.1 Surround Monitor Controller
MULTIPLE SOURCE STUDIO MONITOR CONTROLLER FOR 7.1/5.1 SURROUND & STEREO APPLICATIONS.
The Drawmer MC7.1 Surround Monitor Controller is a combined 7.1/5.1 and stereo monitor controller. Designed to provide all the mix checking features required for surround recordings without compromising on those used in stereo monitoring. It has the same pristine & transparent design as others from the Drawmer monitor controller pedigree, with a rugged desk top “wedge” form factor as used in the popular MC3.1.
Whether it is producing audio for film or television, or transporting the listener directly into the venue of an all encompassing orchestral piece, be it in 5.1, 7.1, quadraphonic, DTS®, Dolby Digital EX,THX Surround EX™, DTS-HD™, Dolby Atmos®, etc., one thing is sure, the number of users that wish to listen to audio within a surround setting has been growing and will continue to do so. There has been an ever increasing number of surround products coming to market, not only blue ray players and home cinema but also on mobile and media devices. For example, Apple devices have been capable of reproducing 7.1 surround since iOS 9.3. Therefore, it is likely that at some point every artist and engineer will consider trying surround sound, or fear being left behind.
Boasting two sets of balanced 7.1 Inputs, a 7.1 through, 1 Balanced Stereo Input and a convenient front panel Aux Input, with Balanced 7.1 Speaker outs and an independent Stereo main out with its own sub woofer option, there are no shortage of connectivity options. The Drawmer MC7.1 is capable of supporting any speaker seup, from mono, to stereo, various modes of surround, or 8 independent channels, depending on input type and speaker positioning.
The MC7.1 is a powerful Surround Monitor Controller in its own right, but is also perfect for controlling and checking your stereo mixes. This is one area where other surround monitoring controllers fall short. All studios, whether dedicated to film audio post production, or small home studio will at at some time (if not most of the time) work in stereo as well as surround. Aside from the surround capabilities, the MC7.1 contains the same comprehensive set of stereo “mix check” functions that are presented on the MC3.1 and which can of course be applied to the stereo input channel or any of the surround channels when these are routed to stereo.
The ability to “mix down” the surround mix to the FL and FR speakers OR the independent Stereo main speakers combined with the comprehensive cut or solo matrix means any combination of the surround channels can be listened to in the front mains. Want to focus in on the rear channels? Simply mix down to the front stereo speakers then solo them out of the mix! Whilst soloing out the centre or LFE channels give a central mono representation across the fronts or stereo mains!
Speaker level matching with switchable Mono/Sub output, the popular Low/Mid/High band solo feature, Internal Talkback Mic with footswitch control, and External Talkback Mic input are all brought over from the MC3.1, completing the rich array of features available on the MC7.1.
- Pristine, ultra low noise & transparent circuit design gives you an accurate representation of your mix whether it be surround or stereo.
- There are a total of 20 input sources. These include two separate 7.1 inputs (one via balanced jacks and one via 25 pin D-sub) with a through output to send to a multitrack recorder, for example. A Stereo input via Neutrik combijacks, and a Top panel 3.5mm AUX Input & Level Control for connecting MP3 players, smartphones or tablets etc.
- 3x Sets of Speaker Outputs. One 7.1 (or 8 Speakers in any configuration), one Stereo Left/Right pair, and one Mono/Sub. Each can be switched individually & simultaneously or give A/B comparisons. All eleven outputs have level trims to provide precise channel matching and ease of calibration.
- Each of the eight 7.1 speakers can be cut or soloed individually.
- 7.1 channels can be mixed down to 5.1, Stereo and Mono, though any configuration of up to 8 monitors should be possible depending on the source and the speaker layout.
- Stereo outputs (including those mixed down from surround) can be monitored via the main stereo speaker outputs or the FL and FR from the surround speakers.
- When in stereo operation comprehensive Mix Checking facilities Including Low, Mid, High Solo; Dim; L/R Mute; Phase Reverse and more, help check every aspect of your Mix & Provide Ultimate Control.
- Volume can be set via the Variable Front Panel Knob or a Preset Control. Each has excellent channel matching and smooth feel.
- 2x Headphone Amplifiers with Individual Level Control.
- Built In Talkback with Level Control, Internal or External Microphone, Switching via Desktop or Footswitch, & Internal Routing to Headphones and also a Mono Output Jack.
- The MC7.1 is all analog so won’t need to be rebooted due to software crashes, and doesn’t require firmware updates.
- Desktop ‘wedge’ form factor with a rugged steel chassis and a Kensington security slot for added protection.